Our Little Inventor
© Sher Rill Ng 2022
Inspired by the book ‘Our Little Inventor’ by Sher Rill Ng, this tale for people of all ages incorporates themes of climate change, resilience, perseverance and friendship.
"Saying that I am thrilled to be working with Emma Jayakumar, the WAO, and the children’s chorus, would be an understatement. Admittedly, I could not have imagined such grand plans for Our Little Inventor, and yet Nell’s story has taken on a life of her own. I cannot wait to see her kindness and brilliance on the stage, and as always, I hope she inspires many more young people to create a future we can look forward to."
About the show
Our Little Inventor tells the story of Nell, a young girl from the countryside who creates a machine to fix the pollution that is choking the big city. Despite her excitement at showing off her invention, the people in charge do not share her enthusiasm to save their environment.
This is a tale for people of all ages to share together, incorporating gentle humour that touches upon themes of climate change, resilience, perseverance, and the importance of family and friends.
Inspired by the book ‘Our Little Inventor’ by Sher Rill Ng, published by Allen and Unwin Publishers, 2019.
SUNG IN ENGLISH WITH ENGLISH SURTITLES.
West Australian Opera presents Our Little Inventor in association with AWESOME Festival, West Australian Young Voices and Western Australian Youth Orchestra.
Composer and co-librettist Emma Jayakumar
Relaxed Performance of Our Little Inventor
Supported by Lotterywest
3pm performance | Sunday 2 October 2022
His Majesty’s Theatre, Perth
What is a relaxed performance?
A relaxed performance is aimed at creating a welcoming environment designed for but not limited to audiences with autism, sensory and communication needs and learning disabilities. At a relaxed performance, audiences are allowed to move around and make noise within reason when watching the performance. Conventional theatre rules are relaxed, and audiences are given permission to make themselves comfortable during the performance. Lighting and sound levels will be augmented to make the theatre experience more pleasant for audiences with sensory sensitivities. Front of House staff will also be trained to ensure they are equipped to facilitate a welcoming environment for audiences.
What can I expect?
- Theatre doors will remain open throughout the performance.
- Lighting will be dimmed.
- Sound will be moderated.
- Pacing areas will be situated at the back of the auditorium in both the Stalls and Dress Circle.
- A Quiet Area with bean bags and art materials will be available for audiences who may want to leave the auditorium to relax. The performance will be streamed live in the Quiet Area so they do not miss out on the performance.
- Audiences may exhibit comfort behaviours such as fidgeting, stimming, pacing, rocking or make noises during the performance.
- Audience members are free to enter and exit the venue throughout the performance.
CREW & KING
Crew & King Café | Restaurant | Bar is open at the iconic His Majesty’s Theatre and serving the best produce Western Australia has to offer.
Book via The Fork or call (08) 9265 0937
His Majesty's Theatre and West Australian Opera have COVID-19 Safety Policies in place to maintain your safety at the event. These efforts include:
- The completion of a COVID safety plan.
- Hand sanitiser stations readily available.
- Ongoing frequent deep cleaning regimes across all areas of the venue.
- COVID safety trained staff in all areas.
- Use of the WA Government's SafeWA digital contact register system. For more information please click HERE.
For more information on COVID-19 safety at the venue please click HERE.
As per the WA State Government update HERE, proof of vaccination will be required for large events (500+).
- Patrons over the age of 16 will be required to provide proof of vaccination to attend Our Little Inventor.
Should this event become impacted by further government regulations mandating the wearing of face masks or any other requirement, it is a condition of entry that you will need to comply with that requirement or present evidence of a medical exemption if applicable.
West Australian Opera will continue to adhere to all State Government regulations in order to maintain the safety of our audiences, artists and staff.