Star Navigator (Ihitai ‘Avei’a)
A beautiful and haunting new work by Tim Finn that will lift you up to the stars as you journey with two master mariners.
This season is subject to COVID-19 restrictions. To book as part of an opera package (2 or more operas) click here
ABOUT THE SHOW
Based on the true story of Tupaia, a Tahitian star navigator who sailed with James Cook on the Endeavour, this beautiful and haunting work explores the 1769 meeting of two master mariners, each from a vastly different place and culture, both proud of their knowledge and unwavering in their ambition.
The opera delves into the minds of these two navigators of genius and the gulf of belief that, despite their common love of the sea and thirst for exploration, stops them from finding their way into each other’s world. Set sail on this journey and let the music lift you up to the stars.
SUNG IN ENGLISH AND TAHITIAN
STAR NAVIGATOR is a new work composed by Tim Finn with Tahitian monologues by Celestine Hitiura Vaite. Originally commissioned by West Australian Opera, New Zealand Opera and Victorian Opera and supported by the state government of Western Australia
Composer and Lyricist Tim Finn
James Cook James Clayton
Our 2021 season is planned to be delivered in either Phase 4 or Phase 5 of Western Australian Government restrictions, which require a significant revision of seating plans to keep audiences safe.
- We are planning to present events where physical distancing may be required
- We are unable to guarantee your preferred seats in 2021 due to distancing measures
- We expect demand for tickets will be high and we encourage you to book as soon as you can to access
- We will endeavour to present these events however, we will be operating as per COVID restrictions and conditions may change rapidly
For more information please contact Perth Concert Hall Box Office on (08) 9231 9999
Perth Concert Hall and West Australian Opera have COVID-19 Safety Policies in place to maintain your safety at the theatre. These efforts include:
- The completion of a COVID safety plan.
- Hand sanitiser stations readily available.
- Ongoing frequent deep cleaning regimes across all areas of the venue.
- COVID safety trained staff in all areas.
- Use of the WA Government's SafeWA digital contact register system. For more information please click HERE.
A digital programme for Star Navigator will be available to view for free on the WAO website in advance, so if you’d like to read it before the performance, you’ll be able to do so.
We are taking every measure possible to ensure audience safety, so printed programmes will not be available at the performances.