Discover the lived experience of people in the blind and vision impaired community, as Tchaikovsky's last opera is exquisitely reimagined in a world premiere production.
This season is subject to COVID-19 regulations.
About the show
Tchaikovsky’s last opera tells the tale of a beautiful woman who falls in love. At least, that’s all it should be about.
Instead, we witness the story of a woman who is held captive, not by her blindness, but by the ignorance and assumptions of those around her.
In a world premiere production, WAO has worked with the blind and vision impaired community of Perth to update the libretto and develop a production that tells the story from Iolanta’s view.
True to the sumptuous beauty of Tchaikovsky’s music, this season will have more than soaring voices and sweeping melodies. The production will take the audience on a journey to discover the lived experience of the blind and vision impaired, to see the world the way they see it, in a truly immersive event experience.
SUNG IN ENGLISH WITH ENGLISH SURTITLES.
Behind the Scenes
Elena Perroni's Homecoming
Composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Iolanta Elena Perroni
WESFARMERS ARTS SYNOPSIS SHEET
HOW CAN I VIEW THE PROGRAM ON THE NIGHT?
You can view the program on the night via your smartphone. There will be QR codes available at His Majesty's Theatre. When you scan the QR code with your smartphone camera, the program will load.
This production will take you on an immersive journey to discover the lived experience of people with vision impairment. This means:
- It will be staged in darkness with shadowing and moments of complete blackout.
- Scents (such as rose) will be released into the auditorium as part of the sensory experience.
- It will be sung in English and the libretto has been adapted with all audiences in mind, including those with vision impairment.
- No traditional Audio Description equipment will required for any audience member to access the performance.
It is suitable for ages 12+
CREW & KING
Crew & King Café | Restaurant | Bar is open at the iconic His Majesty’s Theatre and serving the best produce Western Australia has to offer.
Book via The Fork or call (08) 9265 0937
Enjoy the special Iolanta menu.
Enjoy the exclusive Iolanta* cocktail.
*non-alcoholic option available
We're teaming up with our partners at Brookfield Place to offer all Iolanta ticketholders exclusive beverage offers on performance nights. All you need to do is present your ticket!
Participating venues include: Bar Lafayette, W. Churchill
Learn more here.
This performance has a strict lockout policy and no interval.
With very limited opportunities to enter the theatre once the performance commences, please ensure an early arrival.
His Majesty's Theatre and West Australian Opera have COVID-19 Safety Policies in place to maintain your safety at Iolanta. These efforts include:
- Hand sanitiser stations readily available.
- Ongoing frequent deep cleaning regimes across all areas of the venue.
- COVID-19 safety trained staff in all areas.
- Use of the WA State Government's ServiceWA digital contact register system. For more information please click HERE.
For more information on COVID-19 safety at the venue please click HERE.
In accordance with State Government requirements HERE, the following measures will be in place:
- Patrons aged 16 and over will be required to provide Proof of Vaccination.
- Patrons will be required to wear a mask whilst indoors.
For more information on Proof of Vaccination please click HERE.
West Australian Opera will continue to adhere to all State Government requirements in order to maintain the safety of our audiences, artists and staff.
Event and ticketing details
Dates & Times
|DURATION||1 hour and 50 minutes with no interval|
|6 April, 2022||Wednesday - 7.30pm|
|7 April, 2022||Thursday - 7.30pm|
|8 April, 2022||Friday - 7.30pm|
|9 April, 2022||Saturday - 7.30pm|
His Majesty's Theatre
825 Hay StreetGet directions